Thursday, January 19, 2012

Know Who Your Enemies Are

I was preparing a bed for a new crop the other day and I found a cutworm:













I immediately heard Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel sing "Know who your enemies arrrre.."

Which Prompted this list:

 Cutworms, snails, Monsanto, deer, fast food, Walmart, gophers, Starbucks, Globalism, agribusiness and government subsidy, GMOs, Drought, Oprah, Alan Alda...

 True, some of these are preemptive strikes. Alan Alda never did anything to me. I'm sure he is not particularly evil, I should scratch him off the list.
          In many cases, this is the best way to deal with enemies anyway. Just ignore them. Unfortunately, when your enemies list includes giant corporations it is hard to know what to ignore.
          These companies buy up all sorts of stuff and the word takes forever to get around. An example, Mars Inc., the candy bar company, owns Seeds of Change. Seeds of Change was a seed company that also had a line of pasta sauce and salad dressings. Now, they are a subsidiary of Mars Inc. which closed the research farm and fired all but one farmer.
       I bring that up because it seemed so strange when I first heard it. I only knew them as a seed company and had no idea they had a line of processed food. I couldn't picture why Mars bars would have an interest in them.
        Similarly, my dad found it strange that companies like Monsanto were copyrighting life and making it impossible for farmers to save seed. He thought all humans had a vestige of humanity. He couldn't picture anyone would have an interest in jeopardizing the entire species by meddling with the reproduction of food crops.
       

         So, what I realize is my enemies fall into three categories: money making decisions instead of people,  agricultural pests or disasters, and Alan Alda.
        I'll make peace with Alan. Maybe, some day, I'll get around to watching M*A*S*H and grow to love him through it.
        I can handle the pests. We have fence for the deer, traps for the gophers, and cutworms are much smaller than I am. I also practice "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" and welcome snakes and coyotes. I support bears and mountain lions, at a great distance.
        As far as, money that makes decisions for people, I just don't expect I can abide.


Kellan's enemies list: Scissors on the floor, gophers, Nicholas Cage, and anyone who is mean to my mom, grandma, or sister. I'm sure I have more, but all of these should be self-explanatory.

I'd love to know the lists of anyone who reads this.

Wil.

1 comment: