Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mushrooms and local food


We harvested the first of the oyster mushrooms.
Mushrooms are high on the list of things too delicate for the supermarket. They are over 90% water and do not last on shelves. Oyster Mushrooms are particularly short lived. So, on the rare occasion I've seen them in the store--They look haggard. Mushrooms were intended to travel as spores and the fruiting body should not be subjected to cross country semi-truck trips.
              Oysters are a great substitute for meat because they have a firm texture and will absorb a lot of flavor. That is on top of  all the flavor they have themselves--Which is distinctly mushroom and not mollusc.
           

               This afternoon while, Kellan and I enjoyed our lunch of Oyster mushroom, bok choy, and spinach stir-fry with quinoa we perused the Extra.
               Extra is a weekly supplement put out by The Mountain Democrat. In it this week was an overview of the El Dorado Epicurean, a choice of seven four-course meals. Each itinerary includes four local restaurants.Our interests were immediately peaked, we could not wait to see what our local restaurants would be featuring in the way of local food.
               Unfortunately, the first selection  "Crab Lover's Culinary Adventure" does not jive with what I know about our county's foodshed. It's a bummer but, I have not caught a lot of crab in El Dorado County lately. Honestly, I have all but given up.

There are a few other things on the menus that answer the question, "what is wrong with this picture?"
              A few examples: Green beans, basil, and my favorites tomatoes and bananas

          I digress, maybe I am only jealous. Jealous that chefs can get along without us. 
         Or, am I disappointed? Has our local palate not realized that fresh local food tastes better?
       
 A few ground rules I would suggest for future events:
If you hold an event of this type in Northern California in January, there should be winter squash.
Stay away from seafood, unless the west coast drops into the ocean and El Dorado becomes beachfront.
Umm, apple hill? Maybe some apple pie for dessert. 

Most likely, we could not justify $90 for a dinner and this was how we made ourselves feel better. I truly hope this event is well attended and those that go enjoy themselves, their company, and their meals.

           

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I want to come over for lunch. Second, I hope local restaurants learn to embrace the local produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMmm..all of this sounds so good you guys. Good job! It's funny that you put empanadas on here, because I've been saying to myself that I really need to make them. So, now I will for sure. I'm going to make that yogurt cilantro dressing too, it sounds amazing! Thanks for the inspiration. see yas soon.

    ReplyDelete